I had this “crazy” idea.
I have a Dodecahedron, a 12 sided die. I’ve had it for years but never figured out what to do with it. So, I wrote 1 – 12 on a paper starting with 1=A 2=B, etc then 9 – 12 were all the # flats. Then I threw the die noting the corresponding note. Then I recorded those chord changes, 4 count for each chord, 8 measures for each line. Then used those same notes in the order I rolled them as the melody line. I then tossed the die to see if it would give me a time signature, I got 7 / 8. I recorded what I came up with (except a middle section that just happened in my head while I was doing this).
After listen to the result a few times I found it hauntingly interesting. Strange to the ear at first but as your mind finds order with in, it grows on you, and begins to make some sense.
After working with the “song” with different virtual instruments I shared it with Niall Mathewson who had some ideas regarding tempo changes. I sent him the file to work with it. We will see how this evolves but I believe the results will be on the next album.
Here’s a very rough mix of the first draft of this tune. It has become much more dynamic after working with it, adding guitars, etc.
Some months later…
I have since repeated this experiment several times with extraordinary results! A large part of my next album will feature several songs that were composed in this way. While discussing some of the songs Niall said, “Here be dragons!” Which triggered the lyrics for one of the songs. It has become a real favorite! I’m taking my time with this album due to the many twists and turns. So far I am VERY pleased with how it’s progressing.